Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Just the Highlights

We started off the holiday season by going to Chris's office party. After the "mandatory fun" the Army sponsors in the form of expensive holiday balls and other such nonsense, this was a welcome relief! We sat, we ate, we poked fun, we opened gifts (which included more poking fun!), and we all went home sober and happy!

The dentist who owns the practice had personalized m&m's made for each member of the staff. This is what she got for Chris: We got spa gift certificates for all the girls, but replaced the one for the owner/dentist/boss with a phony gift certificate to a risque local business. We knew she had gone to the city council meeting to argue agains granting a business license to this place that so prominently displayed their inappropriate wares for all to see. Seeing the look on her face, the raised eyebrows, and the long-delayed muttered thank you was absolutely precious! Chris couldn't take it anymore and quickly informed her it was just a joke. Still brings a smile to my face...

We gave her husband a hard time about his dislike for the kittens that seem to "appear" at their home on a regular basis by giving him a kitty calendar and notebook. We also gave him some fertilizer for the grass they have growing in the back of their truck (Yes, I'm serious. No, it's not on purpose).
Here are a few shots of our halls all decked. I love Christmas!


Cooper earned his yellow belt in Karate a couple of nights before we flew home for the holidays. It was a very long night as they had everyone watch all of the tests. But I guess it is worth the smile on his face!
We woke up early Saturday, Dec 19th and drove to Cincinnatti. After a painless 3 1/2 hour flight we were in Las Vegas. I am still amazed by how easy it is to travel with the boys when I'm only going a short distance with a husband to help, without the many unknowns involved with intercontinental military hops. It makes me tired just to remember! Also, the boys are at such a fun and easy age to travel with. They carry their own bags and walk with us. Amazing!


Jasper unsuccessfully attempts to make a "mad" face.
This, however, seems a bit more natural. Jasper's theme in life could be taken from straight from Buddy himself, "I love smiling. It's my favorite!"




I love the details of this reenacted nativity shot. Brad really got into his role as Joseph by tying something around his head and throwing on a bathrobe while Keri went for a more traditional mom look in her jeans and sweater. I think all three of the wisemen managed to use parts of past years' drillteam costumes (Cooper's is the red sequin belt around his head). Makes me so sad I never did drillteam. :-(
We followed up this "nativity" with everyone taking a turn expressing their feelings about Christ, love, and family. It made me so grateful to be part of my amazing family.

As I sifted through our Christmas pictures I realized the boys must have spent a disproportionate amount of time trying to find new ways to hurt themselves. Good thing they were primarily unsuccessful.


While the Perkins girls enjoyed a craft day making watches and then heading out to the movie, it was obviously anything goes on daddy duty!


(Yes, that's my 2-year-old jumping off a 4-ft ledge. Please don't judge my husband. He really is a great dad and they don't usually get hurt too badly.)

Guess they figured out where to go for a cold drink in between jumps.

And, in contrast, these are my children when mom is around. Just kidding! But things did calm down a bit by Christmas Eve when we had our traditional "Back to Bethlehem" dinner with the Morris family. We love this special evening with family. We ate lots of yummy meditteranean-type foods (pita bread, hummus, salmon, olives, grapes, etc.). This year we even learned a little bit about the meaning of each. Then we did a reading/singing script while the kids acted out the parts.
I wish I had taken a picture of the beautiful Christmas dinner. My mom is a master! And she is learning how to still be a wonderful cook AND keep things simple. I had fun trying out mom & dad's new smoker on our Christmas turkey.

Here are my two tired boys at the end of Christmas day (thanks for the cute jammies Aunt Christy!).

2 comments:

Brad and Keri said...

How adorable!! I love the matching pj's, and the awesome shot of Jasper jumping off the ledge. I say that because clearly he was not injured. We miss you guys already!

Chris said...

I guess we can clearly see which parent is more fun. :)